Join park staff and volunteers in a celebration of the winter season at Silver Falls. The festival will highlight the seasonal changes that can be seen in the winter. Activities will include the following: UPDATE: Bird nest box supplies have run out and will not be available Sunday, December 11.
- Make a wreath at the Evergreen Picnic Shelter (South Falls day-use area)
Build a bird nest box or make a bird feeder in the Stone Kitchen Shelter (South Falls day-use area)
- Attend a short educational talk or guided walk at the South Falls Theater (South Falls day-use area)
- 11 am: Winter birds of Silver Falls (20-minute talk)
- 12 pm: Learn to Love a Lichen (20-minute talk)
- 1 pm: Winter Tree ID hike (1-hour hike, 1 mile)
- 2 pm: Winter birds of SIlver Falls (20-minute talk)
- 3 pm*: Winter Hibernators (20-minute talk *at Smith Creek Village)
- Visit a Discovery Table near South Falls to learn about the waterfalls in winter or learn about winter animal tracks (South Falls day-use area)
- Decorate a gingerbread cookie and take part in a scavenger hunt (Smith Creek Village, 1.5 miles from the South Falls day-use area)
- Earn a commemorative Silver Falls ornament from taking part in at least 4 of the above activities
All activities are free, but a day-use parking permit is required. Permits cost $5 per day; annual permits, normally $30, are on sale for $25 in the month of December and are available at the park.