Yaquina Bay State Park is located in Newport at the north end of Yaquina Bay near its outlet to the Pacific Ocean. The bluff is forested with spruce and pine, and a large deck provides views of Yaquina Bay and the Yaquina Bay Bridge. The west end of the park has parking and trails to the beach along the north Jetty.
The main star is the historic Yaquina Bay Lighthouse. It is the only existing Oregon lighthouse with the living quarters attached, and the only historic wooden Oregon lighthouse still standing.
The Yaquina Bay Lighthouse is seasonally closed December 2023 through February 2024.
Two flights of stairs lead to the watch room; the lantern room is closed to the public. The basement features an interpretive display with educational items and a video about the lighthouse history.
This parcel overlooks the mouth of Yaquina Bay and its entrance into the Pacific Ocean. The property was given to the state by the U. S. Lighthouse Service in 1934 and 1971. It is a spruce and pine forested bluff containing an historic lighthouse, later used as a lifeboat station. The lighthouse has been restored and is open to the public. The park originally was developed for day use in 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The old lighthouse at the harbor entrance was erected in 1871 but was discontinued in 1874 in favor of the Yaquina Head Lighthouse several miles to the north. The Yaquina River is named for the Indian tribe that traditionally occupied the drainage territory. The adjoining city of Newport is a busy fishing and commercial port, very popular with summer travelers. In 1988, a Yaquina Bay State Park cooperative association was created by agreement with the Oregon State Parks and Recreation Division. The group provides information for visitors and tours of the lighthouse.