Ukiah-Dale Forest State Scenic Corridor follows Highway 395 along the North Fork of the John Day River and Camas Creek. Winding through a forest of stately ponderosa pine, Douglas fir and western larch, the corridor provides a pleasant scenic drive and access to a primitive campground and popular fishing spot.
Spring brings an abundance of wildflowers, including camas, a traditional food for the native Americans. Camas Creek and the John Day River offer anglers excellent fishing for trout, steelhead and salmon. The nearby Bridge Creek Elk Wildlife Area provides hunters with plenty of big game hunting opportunities. Foragers can find wild mushrooms and berries in the surrounding national forest.
In the town of Ukiah, restock your groceries, gasoline or fishing tackle.
Set amidst old-growth pines and larch, the campground provides a perfect location to relax alongside Camas Creek. The campground season is weather-dependent.
Land for this wayside was acquired between 1944 and 1947 by purchase from private owners and Umatilla County. In 1956, eight acres were sold to the Pilot Rock Lumber Company. This land was previously under lease for a headquarters logging camp, located near the south end of the wayside. A number of the tracts were purchased with grazing rights. The U. S. Government has reserved the mineral rights in portions of the park. The area was acquired to protect the forest stand along the highway, which over the years has been widened for safety purposes.