On the highway between Newport and Corvallis, this land works equally well as a highway rest stop and tree preserve. Fruit trees are still found on the south side. Four picnic tables border a spacious, grassy meadow. A small stream flows from the northeast through the fir forest to join the Tumtum River.
The land was given to the state in 1961 by Harlan D. Ellmaker, who previously lived on the property. The Corvallis-Newport Highway bisects the property. Mr. Ellmaker was born in Oregon in 1881, the grand nephew an early settler of Lane County. His working years were spent with the U. S. Forest Service and other federal government agencies.