Wyeth Trailhead provides access to over 5 miles along the paved Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail. It’s also the start of the U.S. Forest Service’s Wyeth Trail (#411). The trailhead — located on the Historic Columbia River Highway (Hwy 30) just west of Wyeth Campground — has parking, a water filling station and a vault toilet.
Heading west on the state trail, hikers and bikers will pass three waterfalls, amazing views of the Gorge, and trail access to the US Forest Service’s Mount Defiance Trail (#413) and Starvation Ridge Trail (#414).
After the first mile, visitors cross a talus slope at Shellrock Mountain, where fences offer protection from falling rocks. From here the trail climbs east up the Summit Creek Viaduct to the “Mossy Road,” a section of the historic highway that became draped in moss after the highway was abandoned. Visitors will emerge from the forest to see an impressive view of the Gorge.
Next, the trail passes views of Lancaster Falls, Hole-in-the-Wall Falls and Cabin Creek Falls before reaching Starvation Creek Falls at the 4.6-mile mark. A restroom and picnic tables make this the perfect stop for a lunch break. The final mile ends at Viento State Park.
For information, see our Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail bicycle and hiking map.
Wyeth was an early settlement site, and from 1901 to 1936 it had a railway station and a post office. In the 1930s, it became the site of a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp.
In the 1940s, the Civilian Public Service (CPS) took over the abandoned facility and it became Camp 21, a federal work camp for World War II conscientious objectors — men who opposed participation in the military due to deep religious or philosophical beliefs. Work projects at CPS #21, which were supervised by the U.S. Forest Service, included constructing roads and trails, maintaining campgrounds, working on telephone lines, felling snags, fighting fires, and building lookout towers.
Wyeth was named after explorer Nathaniel J. Wyeth, builder of Fort Hall and the Fort William trading post on Sauvie Island.