mdi-tent Reserve

Sunset Bay
State Park

Near Coos Bay, Oregon, United States
mdi-tent Reserve

Park Overview

Situated in one of the most scenic areas on the Oregon coast, Sunset Bay State Park features beautiful sandy beaches protected by towering sea cliffs. Only a short walk from the beach, the campground has sites for tent camping and RV's, as well as cozy and comfortable yurts. Day-use and picnic facilities are located along the bay to allow easy access for beachcombing, fishing, swimming, and boating.

A network of hiking trails connects Sunset Bay with nearby Shore Acres and Cape Arago state parks. Hiking these trails will give you a chance to experience pristine coastal forests, seasonal wildflowers and spectacular ocean vistas from atop the rugged cliffs and headlands. From points along the trail, you'll be treated to views of Gregory Point and the Cape Arago lighthouse.

A public golf course is located next to the park, and the nearby fishing village of Charleston provides opportunities for crabbing, clamming and fishing.

Year-round Camping

Book reservations up to 6 months in advance at Reservations required for yurt stays. 

  • 30 full-hookup sites
  • 35 electrical sites with water
  • 65 tent sites with water nearby
  • 8 yurts (4 pet-friendly) Reservations Required
  • Meeting Hall
  • Hiker/biker camp
  • Flush toilets and hot showers (campers only)
  • Firewood and cedar fire starter for sale
  • Universal Access: Three campsites and three yurts are accessible to campers with disabilities.
  • Only 1 extra vehicle per site

Group Facilities

Two group tent camps are open May 15-Sept. 30.

Expand your Knowledge

Sunset Bay offers unique interpretive opportunities ranging from wildlife viewing to geology. Interpretive staff provide on-site services including guided tidepool and nature walks, living history walks, school group tours, and youth programs. For a schedule of programs, visit the Interpretive Center on site or call 541-888-0982 for more info on planning your visit.

mdi-alert-outline General Advisory
mdi-white-balance-sunny Open for day use year round mdi-tent Open for camping year round mdi-cellphone Call for reservations: 800-452-5687
Call for info: 800-551-6949
Call park: 541-888-3778
mdi-heart-outline You may also like Current Conditions Directions Feedback

Amenities & Features


mdi-help-circle-outline What's Allowed

Are Drones allowed in Sunset Bay State Park and nearby Shore Acres and Cape Arago State Parks?

Commercial and recreational use of radio controlled aircraft, unmanned aircraft - "drones", quad-copters' and similar are prohibited at Sunset Bay, Norton Gulch, Shore Acres, and Cape Arago.

This is a safety effort to control hazards that could negatively affect other visitors or protected wildlife.

Can I conduct a scientific study at Sunset Bay State Park?

Well, it depends. Scientific studies designed to increase the understanding of ecological processes and resources on state park lands are a valuable source of information for park and resource managers.

OPRD intends to cooperate with organizations and institutions when their scientific research is compatible with the department’s mission of land stewardship through the protection of ecological processes and natural resources.

A scientific research permit is required for most scientific or educational activities that involve specimen collection, field work, or that may have the potential to disturb natural and cultural resources on OPRD owned or managed lands.

You can apply for a permit at

mdi-help-circle-outline Animals

What should I do about the seal pup on the beach?

Harbor seal pups are often found on the beach. Usually, they are not stranded and should not be disturbed. They are resting while their mothers are off looking for food.

The Oregon Marine Mammal Stranding Network (OSMMSN), which responds to stranded and injured marine mammals, notes that "adult female seals are shy and a mother is unlikely to rejoin a pup if there is activity nearby. She may only return to suckle her pup at night when people are not around. It is very important not to interfere with this process, and especially not to move a pup from where it is receiving care from its mother. Within 3-4 weeks of birth, harbor seal pups are weaned from maternal care and are left to fend for themselves. While learning to find and catch its own food, a young seal may come ashore frequently to rest. This is often a very challenging stage of life, and not all pups survive. But while it may be tempting to 'take them in,' their best chance for survival is to be left alone on the beach."

If you are concerned about the welfare of a seal pup or any other marine mammal you encounter, report it to park staff, the park office (541-888-3778), or the 24-hour Oregon State Police hotline at 800-452-7888. Please describe the situation and location of the animal so the OMMSN can follow-up on your concerns.

Check out the OMMSN stranding "do's and don'ts".

When and where can I go tidepooling?

Cape Arago is located at the end of Cape Arago Highway about 4 miles from Sunset Bay campground. The south cove trail leads down to a sandy beach and superior tidepools where you can visit intertidal plants and animals (but please enjoy them with your eyes only).

Check out our Oregon Tidepools website for information about tidepooling, including more answers to this question.

mdi-help-circle-outline Day use/Special Events

Do we need a Special Use Permit to hold our wedding or event?

It depends. Call the Park Office at 541-888-3778 x221 to discuss your plans and possible permits, fees or insurance requirements. Events on the beach are first-come, first-served. Depending on the event, you may need a special use permit for non-tranditional activities. A non-traditional activity is an activity, gathering or use of park properties, ocean shore or other recreational area that is not defined in park area rules and regulations. Events with permits take precedence over non-permitted events.

Some examples of events that require a permit are:

  • organized group gatherings of 50 or more such as weddings, company picnics, tournaments, and contests;
  • an activity that requires a structure and/or decorations such as stage, event tents, archways, tables/chairs;
  • sales of goods and services by vendors, concessionaires and other businesses;
  • commercial filming;
  • activities that restrict public access.
I am bringing a group of 50 or more people to the park. Do I need a Special Use Permit?

In most cases the answer is yes. Please contact the park office at 541-888-3778 x 221 for assistance.

Where can I buy an Oregon State Parks pass?

12-month and 24-month State Park passes are sold at the park office during regular business hours or online at the Park Store. Annual passes are also available at the Shore Acres Information & Gift Center located in the garden.

Where can I buy the Oregon Coast Passport?

12-month and 5-day Coastal Passports are sold at the Sunset Bay park office during regular business hours.

Passports may also be purchase at all Forest Service and Oregon State Parks offices along the Oregon Coast.

For more questions, review our statewide FAQ


The land for the park was obtained between 1948 and 1984. The original tract, including the bay front, was given to the state by Coos County in 1948. Ralph Barker gave a water supply location in 1954. Later tracts were acquired by a grant from the Bureau of Land Management, and by purchase, litigation and exchange with private owners.

Brochures and Maps

mdi-file-pdf-box 2024 South Coast Tide Tables mdi-file-pdf-box Plover Management Areas – South Coast mdi-file-pdf-box Sunset Bay State Park campground map



Sunset Bay State Park

Next happening
Jun 16, 2024
mdi-clock 11:00 AM