In 1846, a wagon train led by Jesse Applegate traversed southern Oregon along what became known as the Applegate Trail. Tub Springs Wayside is one of the stopping points before you head down the mountain pass into Ashland. Take a moment to stop here amid the towering fir and sense what it was like 150 years ago. Breathe in the fresh mountain air. There's an interpretive panel at the wayside describing the difficulties faced by these pioneers.
The name Tub Springs is derived from the tubs that were installed in the 1930s to provide spring water for travelers. The tubs have been renovated and are still functional today. The same springs that provided early settlers with plentiful fresh water still flow.
For current water conditions, please go to: https://yourwater.oregon.gov/namelook.php?pwsname=tub+springs
The tubs are sanitized monthly with a chlorine solution. This usually occurs on the 2nd Thursday of every month. This cleaning will not effect the water quality as it is a surface cleaning of the agates inside the tubs.
The Springbox is sanitized annually. This normally occurs during the Spring. This cleaning does potentially effect the water quality up to 48 hours afterwards.
The land was purchased in 1939. This location was the scene of a major timber trespass in the early 1950s. The wayside contained large examples of old growth pine and Douglas fir, whereas the surrounding property had been logged. A crafty timber thief moved in, using an erroneous harvesting permit. Trees were cut, and logs were sent to both Klamath Falls and Medford. The high quality of logs and demands for payment prompted the receiving saw mills to make inquiries to State Parks. Investigation of the area, stumps and other details led to a charge of criminal trespass. The case was settled out of court after several pre-trial appearances of the confessed perpetrator.