Picnicking with whale watching, beachcombing and a view of the beach. There are approximately five miles of sandy beach with China Creek to the south of the park. J.C Ponsler donated the land in 1938 in memory of his wife, Muriel.
The area was given to the state in 1938 by J. C. Ponsler in memory of his wife, Muriel. Initial developments for day use were made by the Civilian Conservation Corps under auspices of the federal and state governments during the Depression.