COVID-19: For the latest information on COVID-19 in Oregon, visit the Oregon Health Authority. For the latest Oregon State Parks updates, visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page.

Hilgard Junction State Park

Park History

The first land was leased from the U. S. Forest Service in 1951, with a later lease in 1969. Two tracts were given to the state; one acre was donated by the Mt. Emily Lumber Company in 1952 and 79 acres by its successor, the Valsetz Lumber Company, in 1966. Other tracts were purchased from private owners. The park takes its name from the nearby junction on the Union Pacific Railroad line. Hilgard Junction was named for E. W. Hilgard, former dean of the College of Agriculture at the University of California. The logging railroad of the Mt. Emily Lumber Company once passed through the park area enroute to La Grande via connection with the Union Pacific.

Acreage: 254.8

Annual overnight attendance: 2,122

Annual day-use attendance: 82,314

Statewide FAQ

Available via this link