Special Access Pass for Foster, Guardian & Adoptive Foster Parents of Oregon Foster Children

OPRD offers free camping and day-use parking to Oregon foster parents, guardians and parents who have adopted Oregon foster children. The foster children must be present during the park visit. Please note this fee waiver is for state parks only. If you have any questions about the program or the ID card, please call 1-800-551-6949, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. or email us at special.access@oregon.gov.

You may camp overnight for free in a tent, RV or standard horse camp site for up to 14 nights in a calendar month. Your pass does not apply to yurts, cabins, other special park facilities, or fees charged to drive an extra vehicle to a campsite (the first vehicle driven into a site is free). The pass does apply to foster parents and children visiting the 25 parks that charge a day-use parking fee.

This benefit is valid only when both the pass holder and eligible children are present. 


The pass is available only to foster, guardian and adoptive foster parents certified through the Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS), tribal governments and the Oregon Youth Authority. Foster programs from other jurisdictions and from private agencies are not eligible.

This discount does not apply to any charges to make or modify a reservation, or for extra vehicle fees. You are responsible for those costs.

How to Apply

Foster Parents
Send a copy of your valid Certificate of Approval to Maintain a Foster Home in Oregon. Attach a letter with your mailing address and daytime phone number. The pass will be issued to the name on the certificate. It is valid until the foster home certificate expires.

Guardian & Adoptive Foster Parents
Send your Adoptive or Guardian Family Fee Waiver Program Verification Letter issued by DHS identifying you as an adoptive or guardian family. DHS provides these letters; we do not have them. Call DHS in Salem at 503-947-1134 for more information.

You will receive a wallet-sized pass and bright green placard. The adoptive foster parent and guardian pass is valid until the adoptive foster child’s 18th birthday.

Mail or bring the letter or certificate to:
Oregon Parks and Recreation Department
ATTN: Foster Pass Program
725 Summer ST NE, Suite C
Salem, OR 97301

We now accept special access pass applications by email.  Scan or photograph your letter or certificate and email it to us at special.access@oregon.gov.

What happens if I arrive at a park without my Special Access Pass?

You must pay for camping or day use up front. After your visit, you can apply for a refund (see below).

Refunds/Card Replacements

If you do not yet have your pass and want to apply for a refund, send your camping or day-use receipt along with your Special Access Pass application.

If you already have a pass, send us your camping or day-use receipt and a letter with your pass identification number.

If you lose your pass or the green placard, you may request a replacement by sending us a letter with your name, address and home phone number. There is a $5 charge to replace a lost pass. 

The refund request and documentation must be received no later than 30 days after the departure date of your stay. A refund of your fees will be sent within three weeks of our receipt of your request. Please send or email your refund request to the same address you would send your application, shown above.

When your Special Access Pass expires:

Foster Parents:
Your pass is valid to the expiration date on your current foster care certificate. It is your responsibility to provide a copy of your new certificate from DHS, tribal governments and the Oregon Youth Authority.  After we receive your new certificate, we will issue a new pass that will expire at the same time as your certificate.

Some parks are open for day-use and camping, with reduced services. Check the Park Status Map and FAQ for details. Campfire restrictions may be in place.