COVID-19: For the latest information on COVID-19 in Oregon, visit the Oregon Health Authority. Resources for reopening and “Building a Safe and Strong Oregon” are available on Governor Brown’s website.
For the latest Oregon State Parks updates, visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page.

Special Access Pass for Veterans with Disabilities & Refunds for Active Duty Military On Leave


We offer free camping and free parking at day-use fee parks to these groups:

These benefits are handled in slightly different ways. Read on!

The Special Access Pass is for veterans with a service-connected disability. Survivors of deceased veterans, spouse and/or other family members of veterans do not qualify for this pass.  Eligible U.S. military members on leave are reimbursed for their campsite and day-use costs. Both benefits are subject to some restrictions.

What it Covers

If you are eligible, this benefit gives you free parking at the 25 state parks that charge a day-use parking fee. It also covers your camping costs in RV sites, tent campsites & standard horse camp sites. You may camp for free in a tent, RV or standard horse camp site for 10 nights at a time at a single state park, or a total of 10 nights in a calendar month, regardless of the location. If you stay longer than 10 nights at a park, or in a calendar month, you will pay the standard rate for the extra days.

What it Doesn’t Cover

This benefit does not cover yurts, cabins or other special park facilities, nor does it cover the $8 fee to make reservations or the $7 per night charge for a 2nd driven vehicle.

Getting a Pass

For U.S. veterans with a service-connected disability, here is the process:

  1. Obtain a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs stating you have a service-connected disability.
  2. Fill out this application and send it to us (by mail, or in person at our Salem office). Or, call 1-800-551-6949 for a copy, or help. We now accept applications by email.  Scan or photograph your application and letter stating you have a service connected disability and email it to us at
  3. We process the application and send you a pass in the mail. If you stop by our headquarters office in Salem, we can usually print out your pass right away. The pass is valid for four years. 

Getting a Refund

Members of the military on active duty and on official leave need to pay up front and then get reimbursed. After your visit, send us

We must receive your refund request no later than 30 days after the last day of your stay. We send refunds within three weeks of a request.

Camping without a Pass

If you camp without your Special Access Pass (and have one, or are eligible for one, of course) you must pay up front. After your visit, you can apply for a refund. If you have not yet applied for the pass, you may include your refund request with your application.  We must receive your refund request no later than 30 days after the last day of your stay. We send refunds within three weeks of a request.

Please mail all applications or refund requests to:
Oregon Parks and Recreation Department
ATTN: Veterans Pass Program
725 Summer ST NE, Suite C
Salem, OR 97301

How to Renew

The pass expires every four years. A few months before the expiry date, we will send you a reminder postcard. You must sign the postcard and mail it back to us. (This verifies your address, and that you still plan to use the benefit.) No return postcard—no new pass.

If you have moved since you received your pass, please contact us by phone or email us at Please include your pass number, name and new address. We will mail out a renewal postcard to your new address. You must sign and return the postcard to us to renew your pass.

Other Things To Know

Questions about other military-related benefits? Visit ODVA