COVID-19: For the latest information on COVID-19 in Oregon, visit the Oregon Health Authority. For the latest Oregon State Parks updates, visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page.

Statewide FAQ


How do I send you feedback and comments?

You can use our online comment form, contact us by e-mail, call us at 1-800-551-6949, or write:

Oregon Parks and Recreation Department
725 Summer St NE, Suite C
Salem, OR 97301

When can I visit a park?

Most parks post hours at the entrance. Day-use parks are generally open from dawn to dusk. When the park is closed, you cannot enter or stay in the park.

Where can I swim?

The lakes and rivers found within Oregon State Parks are open to unsupervised swimming. You are responsible for your own safety. Before you enter the water, you should judge your swimming skills against possible strong currents, cold water, underwater objects and steep drop-offs. Remember, that many of our natural bodies of water and man-made reservoirs are filled by snow runoff and remain cold year round. Please bring and wear a personal flotation device and swim with a buddy. 

About Camping

What are the rules about noise?

Campground quiet hours are from 10 p.m.–7 a.m.

How many vehicles can I bring? How many people can stay at my campsite?

Usually, a maximum of eight campers are allowed per site. Some sites permit only 6 people per site. Yurts and cabins hold five to eight people, depending on the location. The park manager has the final say. 

Some campgrounds allow extra vehicles at each campsite. Some allow extra vehicle parking only in overflow areas. Check with campground staff before you park an extra vehicle at your site—a $7 extra vehicle fee for campers may apply . What's an extra vehicle? In addition to the car or RV you drive into the park, you may tow one additional car or truck at no charge. If you drive an additional vehicle, the $7  fee kicks in.

Campers arriving on motorcycles are allowed two motorcycles per campsite. The $7 extra vehicle fee applies to a third motorcycle.

Where can I build a campfire?

Campfires are allowed only in park-provided fire rings or fireplaces, and those portions of the beach where fires are allowed. Driftwood fires are not allowed. Portable stoves may be used only in established campsites, picnic areas and designated beaches where fires are allowed.

Can I bring in my own firewood?

Please protect the Pacific Northwest from invasive species by getting your firewood at the campground, or close to it. Firewood can carry insects and diseases that threaten the health of our western forests. You can make a difference. For more information, visit

Who can reserve and rent a campsite?

You must be 18 years old or older to reserve or rent campsites, cabins, yurts or other overnight facilities. The registered camper is responsible for the activities of everyone at the site.

What are the campsite types and lengths? How are they equipped?

There are six basic types of campsites:

  • Full hookup sites – sewer, electricity and water; paved parking area adjacent to site.
  • Electrical sites – electricity and water; paved parking adjacent to site.
  • Tent sites – no utilities, but water at or near the site; paved parking adjacent to site.
  • Primitive sites – no hookups; one water source may serve multiple sites in natural, cleared setting; no paved parking at most sites. Showers may be available in another area of a campground having other types of sites or at another nearby park.
  • Hiker-biker sites – no utilities; open space or other area set aside for people who bicycle or walk into a park. No space available to park vehicles. Vehicles are not permitted when using a hiker/biker site.
  • Horse sites – no utilities (except Stub Stewart State Park); corrals nearby for horses (single, double, or quad units, depending on campground).

Each campsite has a picnic table, fire ring or camp stove. Occupants of full hookup, electrical and tent sites have access to showers.

What are check-in/check-out times?

Check-in for campsites, yurts, cabins and tepees is 4 p.m. Check-out is 1 p.m.

How long are the sites?

Most campgrounds can accommodate RVs up to 50 feet in length, but site lengths vary greatly, even within the same park. Remember that you must also be able to fit your tow vehicle onto the campsite. Let’s say your RV is 25 feet long and you’re towing it with a 22-foot vehicle. You will need a site at least 47 feet long. Check with Oregon State Parks Information line, 1-800-551-6949, for more information.

What is hiker/biker camping?

Many state parks offer camping areas for campers hiking or bicycling into the park (without motor vehicle support). An overnight stay is $7 - $8 per person and the maximum stay is 3 consecutive days in a 7-day period, per campground (except for Harris Beach State Park, which allows 3 days in a 14-day period). The camping areas are first-come, first-served and usually include shared fire rings and picnic tables. Water and restrooms may be some distance away. See Find A Park to search for parks with hiker/biker areas.

How long can I stay in a campground?

You can stay 14 consecutive nights in a regular campsite, yurt or cabin in a single campground, and may return after spending at least three nights out of the park (it can be another state park campground; in fact, we recommend you DO select another state park campground). The maximum time allowed within any campground is 14 nights within any 17-night period. The maximum stay for hiker/biker sites is 3 consecutive days in a 7 day period, per campground.

What's Allowed

Can I collect plants, minerals or animals in a park?

Plant life and natural resources may not be picked, cut, removed or mutilated. However, visitors may gather for personal consumption berries, fruits, mushrooms, or similar edibles in quantities not to exceed five gallons per person per day. No harvesting is allowed in the formal garden area of Shore Acres or any other area posted with restrictions. Some parks may restrict harvest in overnight camp areas and other park areas.

Can I bring fireworks into a park or on the Ocean Shore Recreation Area?

No. Explosives, fireworks or other substances that could cause harm are not allowed in state parks or the beach.

Can I use my metal detector in a park?

Metal detecting without a permit is allowed in specific areas of some state parks and the ocean shore. See the list.  Areas not on the list may be open to metal detecting with a permit. Some areas are unstaffed, so call 1-800-551-6949, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday to find the nearest park office.

What about drinking alcohol in parks?

Yes, you may, except where specifically banned. Call 1-800-551-6949. And of course, no one younger than 21 can possess or drink an alcoholic beverage.

Can I smoke tobacco in a state park?

The Oregon State Parks and Recreation Commission recently adopted rules that spell out where you can smoke tobacco outdoors in Oregon’s state parks. For more information, read our smoking frequently asked questions.

Can I use recreational marijuana in Oregon State Parks?

No, the statute that legalized recreational marijuana specifically lists parks as a public place where it is illegal to use marijuana.  More information on recreational marijuana in Oregon can be found at

Can I ride my E-bike in a state park?

Electric assisted bicycles that fit the definition under Oregon law (ORS 801.258) may ride on bicycle trails 8 feet and wider unless otherwise marked. If you have a need for an electric assisted bicycle as a mobility assistance device for a disability, contact park staff about options for riding on additional trails.

Electric assisted bicycle means a vehicle that:

  1. Is designed to be operated on the ground on wheels;
  2. Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
  3. Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground;
  4. Has both fully operative pedals for human propulsion and an electric motor; and
  5. Is equipped with an electric motor that:
  • Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts; and
  • Is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of greater than 20 miles per hour on level ground.
Can I operate a drone in a state park?

Yes, sometimes. There are no state park rules that specifically prohibit anyone from flying a drone in an Oregon state park. There are some limits, though, and we encourage you to visit our Operating Drones in  State Parks web page for current information.


Can I bring pets to a park? What about horses?

Yes. Pets must be confined by the owner or on a leash not more than six feet long, and kept under physical control at all times. You're responsible for picking up after your pets and to keeping them quiet during quiet hours (10 p.m.- 7 a.m.). Pets are not allowed in Dabney State Recreation Area or on the Canyon Trail at Silver Falls State Park. Some campgrounds have off-leash areas for pets. You can find more info in our 'Pawsitive' info for you and your pet's visit web page and the Pets in Parks brochure.

Pets on the Beach

When you are on a beach, you are responsible for your pet’s behavior and physical control. Some beaches are designated western snowy plover nesting sites or wildlife habitat areas, and restrict or prohibit dogs at certain times of the year. Designated areas are well signed. See our western snowy plover web page for more information.

Horses are allowed in areas designated for horse camping and trail riding, including beaches open for horse riding. Horses are not permitted in main overnight campgrounds, developed day-use areas or any other area not designated for horses.

There are several considerations regarding pets or other domestic animal on Oregon beaches:

  • Domestic animals, which are defined as those animals whose food and shelter is provided by a human custodian, are generally allowed on Oregon beaches.
  •     Exceptions include the following
    • In areas designated as occupied sites for western snowy plovers, dogs are prohibited on the wet sand adjacent to demarked dry sand areas, and horseback riding on the wet sand is allowed, unless horseback riding is otherwise restricted by special rules that pertain to areas adjacent to coastal cities.
    • In areas designated as unoccupied sites for western snowy plovers, handlers must leash dogs with a leash length of six feet or less and keep the dog under physical control at all times.
    • Horses and other livestock are prohibited on the ocean shore between the south city limits of Rockaway and northward to the mouth of the Nehalem River in Tillamook County. Dogs are prohibited except on a leash or under voice or signal command on the ocean shore within the city limits of Cannon Beach, Seaside and Rockaway Beach.
  • If you bring a domestic animal to the beach, you are responsible for the animal's behavior while on the ocean shore area, which means the following:
    • Exercising direct control over the animal while in the ocean shore state recreation area. “Direct control” means that the animal is within the unobstructed sight of the handler and responds to voice commands or other methods of control;
    • Carrying a leash or restraining device at all times while in the ocean shore state recreation area and promptly leashing animals at the request or order of a park employee;
    • Preventing animals from harassing people, wildlife and other domestic animals;
    • Ensuring animals are not hitched or confined in a manner that may cause damage to any natural resources on the ocean shore; an
    • Removing the animal's waste while in the ocean shore state recreation area.
Is my service animal welcome in all buildings?

Yes. Service animals are permitted in all areas where campers are allowed. In keeping with the Americans with Disabilities Act, a service animal is defined as a dog that is trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. (Providing emotional support or deterring crime are not considered qualifying tasks.) Except under special conditions, service animals must also be restrained while in state parks.


Who gets discounts?

Those eligible for discounts

We do not have special rates for any other demographic group, such as seniors.

Day use/Special Events

Where can I buy a day-use parking permit or gift certificate?

Day-use parking permits are needed at 25 parks. They’re are available by phone at (800) 551-6949, and from state park offices and vendors statewide. You can buy a 12-month permit, a 24-month permit or a one-day permit.  More info at day-use parking permits

An Oregon State Parks gift certificate is a perfect present. Gift certificates are available from the State Park Information Center, 800-551-6949. Visa and MasterCard are accepted.

I want to have an event or wedding in a park or on the beach. What do I need to do?

Call the park (or the nearest park to the beach location) to discuss your plans, possible permits, fees and insurance requirements. You may also call the Information Line at 800-551-6949 and ask for the phone number of the nearest park. Depending on the event, you may need a special use permit for non-traditional activities. A non-traditional activity is an activity, gathering or use of park properties, ocean shore or other recreational area that is not defined in park area rules and regulations. Some examples are:

  • group gatherings such as weddings, company picnics, tournaments, and contests;
  • commercial filming;
  • short/long-term rental of property and structures;
  • construction activities and placement of utilities;
  • educational and scientific projects;
  • sales of goods and services by vendors, concessionaires and other businesses.
What about hunting?

Some parks or areas within parks do allow hunting. Call the park that you are interested in.

Do you have wi-fi in any of your parks?

Wi-fi is not available in Oregon State Parks.  However, many communities have merchants and public buildings with the service.